France is deploying more than 147,000 security forces nationwide to gird for New Year’s Eve unrest as yellow vest protesters prepare to join the public revelry.
- Businesses, museums and other attractions in the French capital had shuttered on Saturday in anticipation of the violent new clashes during the critical Christmas shopping season.
- French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said 125,000 demonstrators had taken to the streets across the country, including 10,000 in Paris.
- Paris and other French cities including Bordeaux, Lyon and Toulouse saw significant clashes between protesters and police.
- About 120 protesters and 20 law enforcement officials were injured nationwide, the interior minister said.
- Nearly 1,400 people were arrested.French PM Edouard Philippe called for dialogue and said President Emmanuel Macron would soon be proposing measures to “nourish” that dialogue and rebuild national unity.