The Snowball Fight shot by the Lumière Brothers in 1896 is a fascinating little video that recently got restored and went viral. Whenever I see it I want to watch it over and over again. But why is it so special? And is it even real?
01:37 Who shot the snowball fight?
02:01 Where was the fight shot?
02:40 Was the fight spontaneous?
03:48 Fake vs. real
– Upscaled video by Dmitriy Badin: https://youtu.be/tuFu9-bfnQk
– La Bataille de Boules de Neiges, Lumière Brothers, 1897
– L’Arroseur Arrosé, Lumière Brothers, 1895
– L’Arrivée d’un train en gare de La Ciotat, Lumière Brothers 1896
– Deepfake video footage: Aayush Bansal, researcher at Carnegie Melon University
– Aerial photo of the Institut Lumière: http://www.institut-lumiere.org/musee…
– ‘Watch This Snowball Fight From 1897 for a Jolt of Pure Joy’, Sam Anderson, New York Times, Nov 5 2020, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/ma…
All music licenced by Epidemic Sounds
These Shoes only Go Backwards – Jerry Lacey
Antidote X – Van Sandano
Buster – Jerry Lacey
Portobello Road – David Celeste
Try and Catch us Now – David Celeste